Sunday, October 19, 2008

21 Day Cleanse - I'll Start Tomorrow!

After hearing Oprah interview Kathy Freston about her new book, Quantum Wellness, and then reading the book, I decided to do her 21 day cleanse. It consists of eliminating sugar, alcohol, caffeine, gluten. and all animal products from your diet for up to 21 days. You may wonder, as I did, what is left to eat?! At a very basic level, what is left is fruits and vegetables. But if you look further (at vegan blogs and Oprah's blog) there is a world of foods and menus just waiting for your dining pleasure.

My family and friends are asking a different question. To them it's not 'what?', but 'why?'. Why in the world would I cut out all those delicious foods and deprive myself that way? The answer is multi-leveled. First, I like Freston's theory that eliminating those foods will give my body a break from having to work so hard to digest and get rid of toxins and allergens. Second, I have had food and body-image issues for as long as I can remember, and I feel like this will bring them right up in my face, so to speak, so that I can resolve them and create a healthy relationship with my body. Third there is that small matter of discipline - I don't always exercise it to my advantage, and this cleanse will certainly provide an opportunity to do so.

Since I don't eat any meat, except seafood, the only hard part of eliminating animal products will be the cheese, yogurt, and eggs. I'm willing to try the soy-substitutes, but also willing to do without, if the substitutes don't taste good. I can do anything for three week...right?

Fortunately, my next door neighbor, Andrea, is accompanying me on this 21 day journey. I told her that the book suggested that you get your neighbor to the left, facing your house, to do the cleanse with you, and she agreed. (If you happen to see her, don't let on that the book didn't really mention anything about neighbors!)

I really will start tomorrow! Tune it to see how I progress. Blessings, Annie

No comments: