Sunday, December 16, 2007

Strange Advice

I have an idea that is going to seem a little strange, or may make me sound kind of obsessive, but nevertheless, I believe it is good advice, and I invite you to try it for yourself and see! As we get just about as close to Christmas as we can get without it actually being Christmas, things seem to get a little more frantic, time slips away faster, and more tasks get left undone (at least in my world). My suggestion is to take some time at the end of each day, maybe with a mug of your favorite hot holiday beverage, and make a list of what went wrong that day. Yep, a list of what went wrong.

Why? Because now is the time to prepare for next year's celebrations. When we recognize the things that didn't flow well this year, we can make a note to change it for next year. If we wait until next year, we probably won't remember that something didn't work until it's too late.

For instance, each year some of my gifts are handmade. As you might imagine, it doesn't really work very well to begin crafting gifts in December! And as you also might imagine, in spring and summer, I'm not really thinking about making winter-time gifts. (Those of you who know me know that I'm thinking about the beach all year round!) But if I make myself a note and keep it in my calendar, on one of those rainy summer weekends when I can't be out napping in the hammock on my deck, I can work on some Christmas gifts in my craft room. And come next December, they will be all ready to wrap and give (provided I can remember where I hid them - perhaps another 'note to self' is in order here?)

Of course, it makes sense to keep a log of what went well and what you'd like to do again next year, too. Were the gingerbread cookies especially well received? Put them on the list to make next year. Did you have a Christmas CD that you loved listening to ? Make sure it gets on the list to be brought out right after Thanksgiving. My husband has a rule that no Christmas music can be played until after Thanksgiving. I happen to agree with him, but boy on Friday morning, I'm ready to roll out Josh Groban or Mannheim Steamroller!

So to review, create a ritual for yourself of making note of what you enjoy and look forward to each Christmas, and what you want to do differently next year. Then you're on your way to making your holidays less stressful and more meaningful. Blessings, Annie

No comments: