Friday, December 7, 2007

Pausing

After reading my friend and colleague Marcia's recent post on The Elf Line, I wanted to remind my readers, as she did hers, to find ways to make the holidays meaningful, instead of rushing through without giving them any thought. My favorite way to be mindful of the meaning of this season is to pause when my clock chimes a Christmas Carol at the top of each hour. I take a slow, deep breath, imagine love flowing into my body with the fresh air, and then send that love out to a family member, friend, or client. It's amazing to me how hard it is to be still for just that brief moment. I tend to fidget and chase my thoughts around in my head and think of other things to do; in other words I want to 'do' instead of just 'be'. But when I can take that brief respite and really feel the love flowing through me and on to someone I care about, it makes a difference in my day, and I believe in the recipient's day too. Try it next time you hear a bell ring (think "It's A Wonderful Life") or see twinkling Christmas lights or light the Hanukah candles, and see what it does for you. 


1 comment:

Marcia Walker said...

The bells on my door wreath ring each time the door swings open and shut. It will be a great reminder to take in and send out love. Thanks, Annie! Or should I say, "Atta boy, Clarence!" like Jimmy Stewart does in It's a Wonderful Life?

Marcia