Sunday, March 29, 2009

"Well, we're wet and cold, but at least we're exhausted."

My husband, Craig, and our friend, David Patterson, ran the Covenant half marathon this morning. The above quote is David's response to my post-race query about how he was feeling. I feel your pain, David - not because I've ever run a half marathon (one 10K, back in the day was plenty for this ex-runner) but because I've been through the training and eating patterns and knee braces with Craig as he prepared for the race. I observed the determination, grit, and perseverance it took to prepare your body and mind for this kind of adventure, and I respect the heck out of the folks who do it. No I don't aspire to do it myself, but I believe the characteristics that must come into play to accomplish something like a half marathon are also valuable for accomplishing other great feats in our lives. Feats such as building a business and creating authentic relationships, among others.

First an intention must be set - I am experiencing the joy of completing a half marathon; I am thrilled to be starting a successful business; I enter into relationships in an authentic, joyful way. Then we make a plan for getting from where we are now to where we want to go (spoken like a true Life Coach, I know!). Next we figure out ways to determine if our plan is working - are we making progress? Can I run further today than I could last week? Do I have more customers now? What's working? What isn't?

Accountability is also a key. If left to our own devices will we stick to our plan, or do we need a coach to hold our feet to the fire? A cheerleader to encourage us when the going gets rough?

When we've reached the goal, it's time to celebrate! How do you reward  yourself? This step is important. Remind yourself of the energy you expended, the hard work it took to make your goal a reality. Give yourself a pat on the back, and let others pat you too. Bask in your glory for a while, then start all over. Move to the next goal and the next and the next...

Create your life with intention and attention. Finish the race, and you too can be wet, cold, and exhausted!

2 comments:

my beautiful life said...

Can't believe your blog fell off my radar! I'll put it back on. Great post!

Dr. Random Order said...

Annie,

Well, one day post race and I am no longer wet, cold, or exhausted. Funny how that works.

Great post!